Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What Makes a Good Work Colleague?

Would you consider yourself to be a good colleague to the people that you work with? What constitutes a good work colleague? I would like to think that I am a person that other people would like to work with, I suppose that I will never know in reality whether I am or not. In this article I will be writing about what I believe makes a good work colleague.

I have worked with many people over the years, some good, some bad. These are the types of people that I like to work with and have what I would consider to be the types of character that would enable them to be classed as good colleague:

1. A good work colleague will listen to their fellow workers and will offer advice where necessary. When they are trusted with confidential information they keep it to themselves, unlike other not so trustworthy colleagues who tend to enjoy spreading gossip.

2. A good work colleague will be very helpful by assisting their fellow workers in any way that they can.

3. A good work colleague will try and make the atmosphere at their place of work as happy and fun as possible. They will try to do this by sharing jokes and stories as well as being bright and bubbly.

4. A good work colleague will go the extra mile by showing additional thought compared to the majority of colleagues. For example they will offer other people a lift home or will volunteer to collect sandwiches for their fellow workers at lunch time.

5. A good work colleague will not stab their fellow workers in the back, so to speak, and will not be a constant suck up to the boss.

Looking at the short list above I would have to say that I would be a good colleague to work with. So how about yourself, are you a good work colleague?